Monday, June 10, 2013

That Feeling of Uniquity!

Today I am taking part in a wonderful blog series & I will be writing about the the topic of 'Uniquity'. This is an amazing opportunity to be part of a huge creative community of artists & designers all ready to share their thoughts on so many interesting subjects!

'The Declaration of You' will be published by North Light Craft Books this summer, with readers getting all the permission they've craved to step passionately into their lives, discover how they and their gifts are unique and uncover what they are meant to do! This post is part of 'The Declaration of You's BlogLovin' Tour', which I'm thrilled to participate in alongside over 100 other creative bloggers. Learn more and join us! by clicking here.










There are several definitions to the word 'unique' my favourite being 'not typical; unusual'. These are terms that have often been used to describe my design work & my design work is what I believe to be one of the most unique aspects of me & what gives me that feeling of uniquity!

Early on in my design career, working as an in-house designer I felt like I wanted to be more of an individual & to be able to express myself & my uniqueness & it was only when I achieved this that I really began to enjoy my creative work. I always knew I was meant to do something else. I just needed to figure out what that was. I longed to be unrestricted & free within my work, I dreamt of being left to do my own things. I wanted to design & create art based on my personality, my instincts & how I felt rather than creating designs that would tick a particular box or area of the marketplace. I love spontaneity & I longed to apply this to more lifestyle and design work. I always say my ‘inner doodle’ was set free once I decided to go it alone & be an individual.

After freelancing for a while (as an unnamed artist) I dreamed of putting my own stamp on products & being able to add my name to collections sold in the marketplace. I never assumed I’d become an international brand, I just wanted to be recognised as an independent artist but before I knew it I had built a design label! I think being true to myself & injecting my own uniqueness & personality into my work & website created a look that defined my signature style. It felt like an organic & laid back process rather than being contrived.

I now have my very own, very unique online shop & there are lots more interesting & special projects in the pipeline! I run an e-course on surface pattern design with my fabulous business partner Beth Kempton of 'Do What You Love' as well as 'MOYO' a free online magazine, dedicated to the world of surface pattern design! Also check out makeitindesign.com & watch this space!

Other things that give me that feeling of uniquity:
  • Designing to different types of music
  • Celebrating the highs & making the most of the lows
  • My LOVE of colour!
  • Travelling & seeing the world
  • Living spontaneously
  • Celebrating the highs & making the most of the lows
  • Working hard but having lots of fun!
What things give you a feeling of uniquity? Feel free to leave a comment! Or you can comment on our Facebook page or send us a Tweet: @rachael_taylor_


I can’t wait to be a part of The Declaration of You’s Facebook party Friday 14th June at 9-9:30a PST/11-11:30a CST/12-12:30p EST. We’ll be chatting in real time about Uniquity over at facebook.com/TheDeclarationOfYou. Hope you can join us!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael,

    I just took a few minutes to look at your designs, and I am intrigued! I love your carefree approach to making your art. You are an inspiration, especially as I am developing my own art for licensing Thanks for being on the Tour. My "Uniquity" is on parade along with yours and so many other creative folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things that give me a feeling of uniquity are my love of writing in many different genres - fiction, children's lit, children's picture books, poetry, journaling, blogging (okay, I know those last two are not actual "genres," but I love them all the same :). I love to make mind maps for everything! ;) I love painting and that love changes - I was really into painting mixed media whimsical girls, now I am feeling the pull to paint in a more abstract style. My Renaissance soul that creates in me a love for many things - writing, art, music, online business. My love for learning and my "go for it" mindset to try new things.

    Kim Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things that give me a feeling of uniquity are being a Renaissance soul. I love many things - writing (in many different genres), art (mixed media, abstract), nature, alternative healing, raw food lifestyle (still at the beginning of incorporating this into my life), I love trying new things, I have a "go for it" attitude (which I love!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...