Thursday, July 7, 2011

Design Stars!

I can finally share with you the Design Stars competition winners & nominees!

As you know I've been back to Liverpool a fair bit over the last six months as I was asked to lead the new surface pattern category for the 2011 Design Stars challenge. This involved writing briefs, delivering workshops & talks & visiting many schools with the Liverpool area. I also had to judge the huge amount of entries we received (which was very hard & a bit overwhelming) & select the 1st, 2nd & 3rd prize winners & nominees. We also held a screen printing masterclass weekend too where all of the nominees took part.

There was a lovely awards ceremony too where I got to present my category awards, it's all been great fun & I've loved every minute of it! So a huge thank to the Design Initiative they really are a inspiring organisation & have been a pleasure to work with. I feel very honoured to have been a part of it.

And the SURFACE PATTERN DESIGN CATEGORY WINNER IS...

1st place went to CORINNE MALONE, age15, Holly Lodge Girls’ College. I just adored Corrine's design & complimentary print as it instantly caught my eye. Her edgy colour palette & unique style worked really well & the designs were really fresh & contemporary. Corrine also had her own distinct style & her supporting artwork & sketches reflected her natural talent for surface design.


Well done Corrine!:)




In 2nd place ABBIE DUTY, age14, Broughton Hall High & in 3rd place HANNAH MACKENZIE, age 15, Holly Lodge Girls’ College.


I just loved Abi's striking silhouettes & cool colour palette. I thought she had great clean commercial style too (image above)
Abi is just age 14! Wow!



I thought Hannah's design (above) was bright, fun & quirky. It was really refreshing to see a different approach & choice of subject matter.  I thought she had a distinct style & I loved her fun sketchbook too!


Well done to all of our three prizewinners! I was super impressed by their designs & standard of work. They all had great sketchbooks & thorough research too (which was all required as part of the brief)



First prizewinners received an iPod Nano, second places won either an iPod Shuffle or Gamstation vouchers, and all third placed entrants were awarded Top Shop vouchers.

All 38 nominees received certificates of achievement in recognition of their hard work and great designs.

An exhibition of all the winners and nominees will be on display at the Design Show at St George’s Hall, as part of Liverpool Design Festival, from 6th to 9th October 2011. The next Design Stars competition will also be launched during the Festival.

For more information on the surface design brief, the Design Stars competition or the Design Initiative you can visit any of the three following pages:

http://www.liverpooldesignfestival.com/designstars/surface-pattern-category

http://www.liverpooldesignfestival.com/designstars/

http://www.designinit.org.uk/













No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...